"Such a library as ours would not only contain books and current periodicals,
but there would be...articles of historic, scientific, and artistic interest."
~ Frank C. Patten, Head Librarian of Rosenberg Library, 1904 - 1934
The Library accepted its first museum piece shortly after it opened in 1904. Since then, thousands of rare and interesting objects from around the world have been added to the collection. Displayed in these pages are the Library's "Treasures of the Month."
July 2010 "Treasure of the Month"
The American sister cities program was initiated in 1956 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. It was originally administered as part of the National League of Cities but became a separate organization in 1967 when it became Sister Cities International (SCI). The program is a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network meant to create and strengthen partnerships between U.S. and international communities as well as promote cultural understanding. SCI leads the movement for local community development and volunteer action by motivating and empowering private citizens, municipal officials, and business leaders to conduct long-term programs of mutual and global benefit.
The City of Galveston first became a member of the program in 1965 when the Niigata-Galveston Committee was formed. Galveston has six sister cities designated by Sister Cities International: Armavir, Armenia; Trivandrum, India; Veracruz, Mexico; Stavanger, Norway; Niigata, Japan; and Tamsui, Taiwan. New Orleans is also considered an informal sister city of Galveston because of the two cities’ cultural and historical similarities.
Niigata, Japan, established in 1889 as a port of call for Japanese trade ships travelling the Sea of Japan, lies on the northwest coast of Honshu, the largest island of Japan. A windy and humid city with a population of 810,000, Niigata is still an important port for the shipment of rice and a bustling railroad hub, just as Galveston was an important cotton port and railroad hub for much of its history. The term Niigata literally translates to “new lagoon” and the city is often called the “City of Water” because several rivers, marshlands, canals, and the Japan Sea traverse its borders. Because Niigata, like Galveston, sits at a low elevation, flood control and land reclamation issues are important focuses of the city. In recent years, Niigata has been promoting itself as Japan’s “Designated City of Food and Flowers” to highlight the region’s agricultural resources and the city’s rich cultural history.
The City of Niigata has been very charitable to Galveston since the beginning of the sister city affiliation. Niigata City, along with the Niigata-Galveston Committee, raised $30,000 for Hurricane Ike disaster relief in the winter of 2008. Niigata also helped in Galveston tree reforestation activities along Rosenberg Boulevard in the spring of 2010. The Rosenberg Library Museum houses a large collection of gifts and artwork from Niigata school children as well as gifts given to visiting Galvestonians.
In 1995, a monument was erected to honor our 30-year friendship with Niigata, Japan. The dedication ceremony took place on Galveston Street in Galveston Square of Niigata City. Standing just left of the center of the square, the monument is a ring of black granite with tulips and oleanders etched in grey, the official flowers for both cities. The inscription on the base reads in both Japanese and English:
“In the state of Texas lies the old port town of Galveston. Just as Niigata was a port for shipping rice during the Edo period, Galveston was a port for cotton. The sister city affiliation began in 1965, and since then citizens from both cities have visited one another, deepening their friendship along the way. The sun sets on the Japan Sea while the morning dawns from the Gulf of Mexico. We are one world. On the occasion of our 30th sister city anniversary, we erect this Monument, give thanks to the efforts of those who came before us and hope for everlasting friendship.”
The Treasure of the Month is located on the library’s historic second floor near the East Entrance. It can be viewed during regular library hours, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, please contact the Museum Office at 409-763-8854 x 125.