"Such a library as ours would not only contain books and current periodicals,
but there would be...articles of historic, scientific, and artistic interest."
~ Frank C. Patten, Head Librarian of Rosenberg Library, 1904 - 1934
The Library accepted its first museum piece shortly after it opened in 1904. Since then, thousands of rare and interesting objects from around the world have been added to the collection. Displayed in these pages are the Library's "Treasures of the Month."
October 2012 "Treasure of the Month"
Photograph of the original site of E.S. Levy and Company,
Market and 23rd. Courtesy of the Galveston
and Texas History Center, Rosenberg Library
Boy’s jacket in black velvet with silk trim
from E.S. Levy & Co. ca. 1890s.
Gift of the Morgan Family.
As an incentive for their young male shoppers, Levy’s issued shiny tokens with every purchase in their boys’ department. These tokens could then be redeemed for a toy of choice available at the store. Boys who registered with Levy’s also received cards and gifts on their birthdays.
For their more mature clientele, Levy’s employed a buyer in New York to keep pace with the latest international fashion trends. From sportswear and suits to hats and shoes, Levy’s provided Galveston’s most distinguished gentlemen with the finest apparel available.
Ca. 1910 top hat from E.S. Levy & Company,
Galveston. Made by Knox Hat Company, New York.
Complete with cowhide traveling case lined
with satin. Gift of the Morgan Family.
The establishment of shopping malls coupled with the overall decline of Galveston’s downtown district led to the closing of Levy’s in the 1970s, along with other once-thriving businesses along Postoffice. In 1979, after 102 years in operation, the company closed its doors, ending its reign as one the island’s oldest and most beloved fashion houses.
The Treasure of the Month is located on the library’s historic second floor near the East Entrance. It can be viewed during regular library hours, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, please contact the Museum Office at 409-763-8854 x 125.